Basic Christmas Cake
Preparation Time - 15 minutes
Cooking Time - 2 - 2 ½ hours
For the Cake
- 500g sultanas
- 750g raisins
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 150ml Reverie Brandy
- 250g room temperature butter, diced
- 1 - 2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 100g ground almonds
- 100g flaked almonds
- 180g self-rising flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tbsp smooth orange marmalade, no bits
- 1 pack of white Fondant icing
- Sprinkles or decoration of choice*
- 1 20cm (8 inch) deep loose bottom cake tin
- Baking parchment paper
- Spray oil
- Add the dried fruit, zest and juice of the orange and lemon, alcohol of choice, and the diced butter to a pan or pot. Place over a medium heat, bring to the boil and then simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes in a large mixing bowl.
- Preheat your oven to 140C (130F fan). Line an 8 inch deep round cake tin with baking parchment paper and lightly grease with spray oil.
- Add the flaked almonds, ground almonds, flour, cinnamon, and ginger to the fruit. Give these ingredients a little mix up.
- Then add in your eggs and mix well to combine, ensuring there are no lumps of flour. Place the mixture into your tin. Smooth over the top with a spatula.
- Bake in the oven for 2 hours 15 minutes - 2 hours 30 minutes. Allow to cool in the tin for 1 hour. Remove from the tin and using a skewer create holes deep down into the cake. Spoon 2 - 3 tbsp of the same alcohol used in the cake mixture over the top. Allow to sit for 15 minutes and then wrap in cling film.
- Repeat 3 more times, once a day, wrapping in cling film between dousing!
- Allow the cake to dry up a little, still wrapped in cling film, for one week.
- Mix together the marmalade with 2 -3 tbsp of water in a pot. Whisk together and then spread over the cake.
- Roll out your fondant icing on a surface floured with cornstarch or icing sugar.
- Cut a circle using the base of your cake tin for the top and place on top of the jam layer.
- Press down using your hands. Allow to sit for 15 minutes and then store cake in a sealed airtight container until you're ready to eat it!
- It will keep for up to three months or you can freeze it without the icing for a little longer; thaw before icing.
*Dampen the top of the icing with a little water to adhere desired decorations