|3 pieces piece||Courgette Courgette|
|2 pieces piece||Aubergines Aubergine|
|2 pieces piece||Red Onions Red Onion|
|3 pieces piece|| Red Pepper
(or yellow peppers)
|6 pieces piece||Tomato Tomato|
|0,5 bunch bunch|| Basil
(plus extra to garnish)
|2 tbsp tbsp|| Olive Oil
(plus extra for drizzling)
|4 cloves clove|| Garlic
|1 tins tin|| Tomato
|500 ml ml||Tomato Passata Tomato Passata|
|1 tbsp tbsp||Balsamic Vinegar Balsamic Vinegar|
|0,5 pieces piece|| Lemon
1. Chop the courgettes, aubergines, red onions, peppers andtomatoes to roughly the same size and thickness. Pick thebasil leaves and set aside.
2. Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a pot over a mediumheat; add the onions and garlic and cook for 10-15 minutesuntil softened and golden.
3. Add the tinned tomatoes and tomato passata, the balsamicvinegar and a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
4. Mix well, breaking up the tomatoes with the back of aspoon. Cover the pan and simmer over a low heat for30-35 minutes, or until reduced, sticky and sweet. Tear inthe basil leaves, finely grate in the lemon zest and adjustthe seasoning, if needed.
5. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4
6. To assemble, spread a layer of the tomato sauce into abaking dish and top with an even layer of the vegetables.Repeat until all of the sauce and vegetables have beenused up, finishing with a vegetable layer.
7. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 30 minutes until thevegetables are tender. Garnish with fresh basil leaves anda final drizzle of olive oil if needed.
8. Serve with a hunk of bread or steamed rice.