|1 large large||Carrots Carrot|
|0,25 head head||White Cabbage White Cabbage|
|2 tbsp tbsp|| Mayonnaise
(reduced fat if you’re watching calories)
|2 tbsp tbsp|| Natural Yoghurt
(low fat/fat free if you’re on a diet)
|1 tbsp tbsp||Apple cider Apple cider|
|1 pinches pinch||Black Peppercorn Black Peppercorn|
By Caitriona Redmond
The key to preparing this simple coleslaw is that you make individual components up to 3 days beforehand providing you keep them in sealed containers in the fridge.You can then add them at the last minute and mix.So if you’re planning a BBQ on Sunday, get this out of the way on Friday evening and then leave the ingredients to one side.
If you intend to make enough for a large party just stick to the ratio of 1:4 of carrot:cabbage and always mix just before serving as the carrot tends to bleed into the mixture. If you like to add herbs or a slight onion flavour then chop some chives and parsley into the mixture.
- Peel and grate the carrot. If preparing for mixing at a later stage place the grated carrot into a plastic, sealable freezer bag, seal and put into the bottom crisper drawer of your fridge.
- Using a good sharp knife remove the core from the cabbage, peel off the outer, softer leaves (probably about 3) and discard these into your compost bin.
- Finely cut the cabbage into thin lengths.Repeat the step above with the freezer bag if preparing for another day.
- To serve take the large bowl and measure all the dressing ingredients into the bottom of the bowl (mayonnaise, yoghurt, vinegar, black pepper) and stir until they create a thin dressing.
- Next add your cabbage and carrot and mix well until loosely coated with the dressing then serve.